Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Own Personal Abortion Issue

I have a bright 8 year old grand-neice named Britney.
Some time ago, Britney inquired"What ith a-ab-aborshun?" (She has a lisp and was unsure of the word so she stuttered a bit trying to pronounce it)
This little girl was asking me what an abortion is. WOW! I was not expecting that anytime soon, or at all.
I have always tried to answer all her questioons, no matter how silly they may seem to adults.
I strongly beleive it is wrong to lie to a child or to ignore their questions, so now, I was stuck.
How do I answer this question so that a little girl can understand?
Do I go into detail about the moral concerns involved with the abortion topic?
I thought to first try a simple answer and hope it would suffice.
"An abortion is when a mommy does not want to have a baby"
I was met with a shocked expression. She must have thought "Why doesnt the mommy want the baby?"
I could see she was thinking hard now. I knew another question would now follow.
She actually asked "what does she do with the baby?"
In case she may have been confusing abortion with adoption, I figured I would need to clarify.
"Abortion is when a mommy kills a baby inside her stomach" I explained
She was even more horrified with this answer than my previous one.
I was expecting her to ask "why would a mommy kill the baby?"
Once again, the question I was expecting was not the one that was posed.
"Did my mommy want to abortion me?"
Somehow, my answer to this question came easily.
"No Britney, never. She always wanted to have a little baby daughter that would poop a lot and vomit on her shoulder"
She giggled, I guess with releif.
I thought I performed well under this tough line of questioning.Thank God it was over, or so I thought.
"Why do mommies do abortion?" Britney asked.
I may have been underestimating Britney's intelligence, and so, I figured, I would try more definitive answers.
"Sometimes a mommy is too young to take care of a baby. Sometimes a mommy does not have money to take good care of a baby; or sometimes, a mommy does not like babies"
She asked me several other questions and one lead me to telling Britney about an aunt she has that tried to persuade Britney's mom to have an abortion.
After the conversation, I tried to imagine, what if Britney's mom would have listened to the aunt.
Life without Britney? It's just unthinkable.

I guess I should start preparing for the question Britney might hit me with any day.
The one about making babies

No comments: