Sunday, October 5, 2008

Racism and the Election

I hope a few narrow-minded closet-racists read this...This blog's for you!

The election is the hot topic now and will be, I suspect, until January.

There remain a lot of undecided voters out there. So it’s natural to hear people asking "Who will you vote for?"

When asked if they will be voting for Obama, I have often heard the reply "I don't trust him." The intuitive response to that is "Why not?" which means "what has he done to lose your trust?" Nothing follows to substantiate their simple answer.

I was talking to a group of elderly Southern people (I've been in Tennessee for a few months) and they informed me the phrase "I don't trust him" when referring to Obama, is code for racism. I was surprised to learn that. By saying "I don't trust him" they actually mean to say "I am not voting for a nigger" but lack the fortitude to display their bigotry openly.

And that's my problem with bigots. They seem to lack the courage of their racist conviction.

I was raised to believe that everyone should be proud of who/what you are!
For example...
I am Hispanic and I am proud of my background.
If you are Catholic, be proud and be seen at church.
If you are black, be proud and show your color.
If you are Chinese, be proud and don't hide your eyes.
So that means if you are racist, be proud and wear your white hood in public!

I am surprised by the amount of racism exposed by this election. Everyone has now come to associate the word CHANGE with Obama's campaign. Just the other day, I became aware of the following racist joke...
What does C.H.A.N.G.E stand for?
Come Help A Nigger Get Elected!

The words "Let's Keep the White House WHITE" has been found scribbled on walls throughout the country.

At George Fox University, which is a Christian college, the effigy of Barrack Obama was found hanging from a tree with a noose around its neck. The image alludes back to a time when black people hanging from trees were common sights. So much for Christianity and the Christian spirit!
Now, while I don't hold the school responsible for this act, the odds are high that those who did it were Christian. I say this because we are in a country that is predominantly Christian. Lutherans, Protestants, Anglicans, Orthodox, Catholics, Baptists, all are Christians.

So why would such a Christian country still harbor so much racism?
FEAR!

This fear is irrational.

I have heard the misapprehension that if Obama is elected, because he is allegedly Muslim, he will turn this country Muslim. I have heard the fallacy that if he is a secret terrorist and if elected, he will allow terrorists to enter America.

Does anyone TRUELY believe this? Freedom of Religion is a basis for our Constitution and thus, the President can’t dictate what God we worship. I mean, how would he execute such an act? Ratifying such a radical change to the First Amendment would require approval by majority of a predominantly Christian Congress, according to Article 5.

I have heard also, that under McCain’s watch, it is guaranteed America will not be attacked by terrorists. Under an Obama administration, we are almost certain to be attacked by terrorists. How can such bold claims be made? Neither man will be able to control when nor where a terrorist attack will happen. Preventing attacks is the cooperative effort all the law enforcement agencies throughout our country.

Many people remain on the fence because they KNOW that McCain is not the right man, but on the other hand, they have trouble putting bigotry aside and voting for a black man. Look, I don't think you should vote for Obama because he is black but I also don't want you to vote against him because he is black.

Take an honest, unbiased look at the candidates and their handling of the issues and vote based on that.

No comments: